Facilitated by Debbie Newman
5 Saturdays: February 25, March 3, 17, 24 and 31
What is the workshop about?
This workshop series is about advancing your success as a trainer. In this highly interactive program, you will inventory your current strengths and design a personalized development plan to take your instructor-led training skills up to the next level. You will give and get feedback and encouragement as you showcase your strengths and experiment with techniques that are new to you. Novice and master trainers alike rate this train-the-trainer program among the best learning experiences they’ve ever had. In addition to experimenting with learning management systems and Web2.0, participants in this Train-the-Trainer boot camp will have the enviable opportunity to step into the future of our profession by creating their own avatars and engaging in a cutting-edge 3D virtual world learning experience.
IMPORTANT: Plan to invest 2 to 4 hours of homework/prep time each week to support your learning experience.
Who should attend?
- Subject-matter experts who seek to add corporate training skills to their professional tool chest
- Internal/external human performance consultants who want to increase professional credibility and visibility
- Wanna-be and in-transition trainers who need to increase their competitive edge in the workplace
What you will Learn:Upon completion of this hands-on skill-building learning experience, participants will be able to:
Who is facilitating this workshop series?
- Describe best practices for creating and sustaining an environment conducive for learning
- Differentiate between training, presenting, and facilitating
- Explain principles of adult learning theory
- Identify ways to adapt one-size-fits-all training designs for one-size-does-not-fit-all learners
- Describe ten elements required for learning success
- Compare and contrast approaches suitable for technical skills and interpersonal skills development
- Identify training methods that maximize learning retention
- Write behaviorally-based learning objectives
- Practice techniques that are responsive to a variety of learning-style preferences
- Apply basic instructional systems design principles
- Prepare and deliver classroom-based training to support behaviorally-based learning objectives
- Identify ways to balance design integrity with trainer creativity
- Explain five ways to evaluate training success
- Demonstrate classroom facilitation and management techniques
- Develop strategies for responding to learners and circumstances that are challenging
Debbie Newman, MA, MFT is a Past President of ASTD-LA and Chief People Person for Working Relationships (www.WorkingRelationships.BIZ), an individual/organizational consulting practice. A master facilitator, accomplished instructional designer, and a recognized expert in workplace relationships, Debbie has been published by Jossey-Bass Pfeiffer and ASTD-LA Press. She co-authored a series of employee self-help books featuring "The Employee Survival Guide to the Performance Review – How to Keep the "Praise” in Your Appraisal." She has been the go-to train-the-trainer boot camp facilitator for leading organizations in biotech, insurance, medical devices, entertainment, municipal and utility industries. This workshop offers the opportunity to learn with one of our Chapter’s best and most highly-rated learning facilitators. You can expect learning with Debbie to be fast-paced and seriously fun.
When, Where, and How Much?
5 Saturdays: February 25, March 3, 17, 24, and 31
9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Community Room sponsored by Jamba Juice
5411 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles 90027
Before February 17:
ASTD-LA Members: $389 · Non-members: $489
After February 17:
ASTD-LA Members: $489 · Non-members: $559
Tuition includes textbooks. Lunch is on your own.
Space is limited to 20 participants.
Pre-registration and pre-payment is required!
Cancellation/Refund deadline is Friday, February 17.No shows will be charged in full.